Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Review: Among the Echoes by Aly Martinez

I am excited to bring you a review of a book I feel in love with! I hope you enjoy my review and pick up this fantastic book! You will not be disappointed! <3 Jennifer



My name was Dr. Erica Hill. I was a victim, then a witness, and then I ceased to exist altogether.
I may still be breathing, but stripped of my identity, I have long since stopped living. I am invisible, and my life depends on my ability to stay in the shadows.

But he sees me.

Slate Andrews is the embodiment of everything I have been taught to avoid. He’s rich and famous, and one image of him with a woman would earn millions for any paparazzi lucky enough to snap it. He has vowed to protect me with his life, yet he exposes me with his every breath. I should be stronger and walk away. I should disappear. But I’m terrified he would come after me.

I’m on the run, determined not to take him down with me but absolutely unable to let him go.

My name is Riley Peterson…at least for today.

*Among The Echoes is a stand alone novel which contains material that may be offensive to some readers. Including sexual abuse, graphic language, and adult situations. Intended for readers 18+.*


http://amzn.to/1ok0CyXhttp://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/among-the-echoes-aly-martinez/1120035329?ean=2940149668694





In my book club group, one of the organizers offered to gift a book just as long as we leave an honest review.  I’m thinking to myself… I’m down with that.  What I didn’t expect was how amazeballs the book would be!  I am being completely honest when I tell you I have never heard of Aly Martinez before I got this book… But now, you better believe I will be a full on stalker!  Ms. Martinez has true writing talent and I loved this book!  I love a book that can make you laugh but have you on the edge of your seat and your stomach in knots!  This is exactly what Among the Echoes did to me.   From the beginning chapter I was like wow… what am I getting myself in too!!!!   But as I kept reading, I was pleasantly surprised.  I did not expect to find humor in a romantic suspense novel.  The author takes such a serious situation and is able to find spots to add wit and humor.  That alone is an amazing feat!  I am now hooked!  I need more from Ms Martinez, stat!  This novel is written in dual POV and is a complete story but has a gateway for a spinoff.

Ericka is an emergency room doctor that has started making house calls to earn extra money to pay off her student loans.  What was supposed to be a routine call changes her life forever.  She is immediately pulled into a room and repeatedly raped by several men.  When she thinks another man is going to rape her, he becomes her savor.


“His dark eyes should terrify me, but somewhere deep inside, I feel a sick safety with him- the man who is supposed to kill me.”

What she doesn’t know is that man, Leo is an undercover agent that ends of killing a top drug lord and some of his henchmen.  Erika and Leo testify at the trial and have no choice but to go into the witness protection program for their own safety.  Three years later and they are still in the program and have moved into a new location with new identities.  What they didn’t know was they would soon have a neighbor with his own secrets to hide. 

Slate is the current heavy weight champion of the world and just defended his title belt.  He is a very private person and after each fight, he likes to go to the apartment he grew up and unwind and decompress.  He is not one that cares for the limelight, he is happy just being in the ring.   When he runs into Erika one day, he is taken back on how skittish she is.  He helps fund womens rehabilitation centers so he recognizes that she is scared of something or more like someone.   While Leo is away one night, Ericka runs to Slate when someone breaks her window.  After this incident, they start spending more time together and Slate slowly gets to see glimpses of the real Erika. 


“Forget my rescue mission to save her… Who’s going to save me?”

I loved seeing Slate and Erika’s relationship grow.  He knows she is hiding something.  He assumes an abusive boyfriend as she has not told him about being in the witness protection program.   


“I can see you, but I can’t hear you.  There are too many lies and secrets echoing around us, distorting the real women.  I don’t know who you truly are.”

I especially loved Slate’s dirty mouth!!!!  Gawh… if there is a weakness I have in a book it’s got to be a dirty mouth!  LOVED IT!  Slate is all kinds of sexy to begin with but throw in that mouth… you have me swooning.  He does everything to get Ericka to open up to him and when she finally tells him about that awful night, he is there to support her and to be her rock that she needs.  


“Ericka, I love you.  I never knew you before you had these scars, but that doesn’t mean I won’t spend my entire life trying to erase them from the inside out.”


After much debate, Erika and Leo decide to leave the program and move to Chicago with Slate. Will Slate be able to keep them safe? You’ll need to read to see how the story unfolds but it’s on the edge of your seats, keeping the pages turning, am I really going to have any nails left after this suspenseful! I am now an huge fan of Aly Martinez and after you read Among the Echoes, you will be too! I cannot wait to read her other books! Thank you for such an amazing story! 




Born and raised in Savannah, Georgia, Aly Martinez is a stay-at-home mom to four crazy kids under the age of five, including a set of twins. Currently living in Chicago, she passes what little free time she has reading anything and everything she can get her hands on, preferably with a glass of wine at her side.

After some encouragement from her friends, Aly decided to add “Author” to her ever-growing list of job titles. So grab a glass of Chardonnay, or a bottle if you’re hanging out with Aly, and join her aboard the crazy train she calls life.